Recent decades have seen massive growth in online gambling. Online casinos, sports betting, poker, and more now allow millions of people to gamble from home. Newcomers to online gambling may find the activity intimidating.
Key terminology in online gambling
The world of online gambling comes with its vocabulary. Here are some of the key terms and phrases you’ll encounter:
- House Edge – The mathematical advantage the casino has over players in a game. It ranges from around 1-2% in blackjack when played correctly, up to 10% or more for slots.
- Rake – The percentage or fee the house takes in poker games and other card games. This is usually around 5%.
- Bonus – An offer from an online casino to encourage sign-ups e.g. matched deposit bonuses, free spins, etc. Always check the terms.
- Wagering Requirements – The amount needed to convert bonus money into withdrawable cash. Often expressed as a multiple of the bonus e.g. 40x.
- Bankroll – Your available gambling budget or the amount you have deposited/can afford to lose. Wise bankroll management is key.
- Variance – The natural ups and downs of luck in the short run as you play casino games or bet on sports.
- Expected Value – Your average return/loss long-term from a bet/game based on the odds and house edge. Aim for bets with positive EV.
Major types of online casino games
There is a vast range of classic and modern casino games available to play online. Here are some of the major game categories:
- Slots – A popular online casino game. Spin the reels and match symbols to win big jackpots. Huge variety of themes and game mechanics.
- Blackjack – Classic card game with great odds if you learn the correct strategy. Aim to get closer to 21 than the dealer without going bust.
- Roulette – Iconic wheel spin game. Bet on numbers, colors, or ranges, and hope the ball lands in your spot. Many betting options.
- Video Poker – Play single or multi-hand poker against a machine. Gives good returns if you use the optimum strategy.
- Baccarat – Elegant card game with simple rules. Bet on which hand between player and banker will be closer to 9. Also features live dealers.
- Craps – Exciting dice table game. Roll certain number combinations and bet how they’ll turn out. Fast-paced.
- Poker – Play classic poker games like Texas Hold’em against other players instead of the casino. Requires skill and strategy. For more information, check out gambling websites online
- Live Casino Games – Play table games in real-time with a live dealer via an HD video link for an authentic casino feel.